Welcome to the Dells Country Historical Society Website!
On June 30, 1981 a group of local people met for the purpose of saving the Bowman house from destruction. The house is located in Bowman City Park. The group formed a Historical Society and requested that the common council of the City of Wisconsin Dells assign the Bowman house to the newly formed society as a museum.
This request was approved by the council with the stipulation that the Society assumes responsibility for the upkeep of the house.
The objective of the Dells Country Historical Society is to educate, preserve, advance and disseminate the knowledge of the history of the Dells County area by displaying items and information where visitors and local people can learn about the Dells area including Old Newport, Delton, Kilbourn City, the Wisconsin River and other local places.
Interested in becoming a member of the Historical Society? Click here for details.
About the Museum
Located in Bowman Park. Built in 1904, the Bowman House is an example of Prairie Style Architecture. Used as a vacation home for working women from the late 1930's to mid 1970's, today it houses many artifacts and images of the Wisconsin Dells that was and still is if you know where to look. This lovely home with its restored wood floors retains a lived in quality, antique furnishings from local families and memorabilia. Read the history of the Bowman Family and House Click Here.
On a tour you will find rooms dedicated to:
- General Joseph Bailey - who was noted to shorten the Civil War by two years. See war uniforms, pictures and artifacts as well as the Thanks of Congress and Commendation by President Lincoln.
- Native American History - from the early settlers, to the present day living. See dress attire,
pictures and more showing how their culture has impacted the history of the Dells and America.
- The Bennett Gallery - H.H. Bennett's photography promoted the area and native life enticing
the people to visit the area. His photographs and memorabilia line the walls of the Bowman House.
- Lake Delton - From the creation of the Lake in 1927 to the destruction in 2008 and the rebuilding in 2009, Lake Delton has many stories to share.
- Tourism - Display cases filled with souvenirs and advertising brochures from the 1800's to the present
- Other rooms like the Parlor, Library, Dining, Screen Porch, Bedrooms and Kitchen showcase pieces from the period. See late 1800's high fashion and accessories, dinnerware (including silverware that had been hidden in a secret compartment), a carefully restored stove and a lot more.
You will feel like you have been transported to the past after your tour through the Museum and perhaps can even sense the presence of the woman who made this house their home for many years. The Bowman House is run and maintained through donations. If you would like to contribute to the Dells Country Historical Society find a form HERE.
Tour of the Museum - Click on the images for a larger view
Wisconsin Dells Events
Our 2013 season is from June 7 to September 14 - see below for days and hours!
Watch this site for information on registration for our Taste of the Dells Craft Fair
June 8th and 9th, 2013 or email: email@example.com or phone 608-981-2321
Contact Us and Museum Hours
The Bowman House Museum is open:
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday
during the summer season from 1pm - 4pm
- Private Group Tours by Appointment
- Free Admission, Donations Welcome
- Cameras Allowed
Dells Country Historical Society
714 Broadway, Po Box 674
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965